As you know, foodservice operations are very energy intensive, typically using much more energy per square foot when compared to other commercial operations. The good news is that much of this energy usage can be reduced by replacing old equipment with energy efficient equipment. ENERGY STAR® certified equipment reduces energy and water usage, thus saving the operator money.
Even better, many utility providers offer a rebate for purchasing a more efficient piece of equipment. This could knock anywhere from $50 to $7,000 off of the purchase price. Be sure to check the ENERGY STAR® rebate finder to find out the savings available in your area.
It is also critical to consider the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the equipment. For example, an ENERGY STAR® certified equipment reduces energy and water usage, thus saving the operator money. certified…
- Griddle may save an end user between $1,100-$1,300 over its lifetime
- Steam cooker may save an end user $12,000 over its lifetime
- Gas fryer may save an end user between $4,800-$5,400 over its lifetime
- Hot food holding cabinet may save an end user $3,000 over its lifetime
- Oven may save an end user between $660-$7,300 in savings over its lifetime
The next time you’re in the market for commercial foodservice equipment, look for the blue ENERGY STAR® logo and check for rebates in your area. It will likely save you money upfront, and will definitely save you money in utility costs over the lifespan of the equipment.