Most everyone is familiar with the blue ENERGY STAR® sticker that is attached to commercial food service equipment, as well as many other products. This logo is the mark of approval from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that you have an energy efficient piece of restaurant equipment. By using ENERGY STAR® certified commercial food service equipment, you are not only reducing greenhouse gas emissions and helping the environment, but also improving your own profitability.
With energy and labor costs on the rise, commercial kitchens everywhere are looking for ways to save money. One of the easiest and underutilized ways to improve your bottom line is to purchase a piece of ENERGY STAR® certified commercial food service equipment. Although it might have a larger price tag than non-certified equipment, by combining the energy savings you’ll receive plus the rebates available after purchase, you can be assured the return on investment will be significant.
Currently there are eight types of commercial kitchen equipment eligible to receive ENERGY STAR® certification. To become certified, equipment must pass strict requirements for energy efficiency and have high quality components. Once purchased, each piece of commercial equipment is eligible for rebates. Rebates range from $20 all the way up to $5000 depending on the equipment, state you live in and your energy provider.
Below is a list of the eight ENERGY STAR® certified commercial food service equipment types along with their additional benefits and technologies*:
- Dishwashers – lower power mode during long idle periods, heat recovery, and dish load sensors
- Fryers – quicker recovery for continuous production and improved thermostat accuracy
- Griddles – improved thermostatic controls and high production capacity
- Hot Food Holding Cabinets – addition of insulation and better temperature uniformity
- Ice Machines – quicker ice harvesting through harvest assist devices
- Ovens – improved gaskets for faster and more uniform cooking processes
- Refrigerators and Freezers – improved fan blade design and uniform cabinet temperatures
- Steam Cookers – reduced water consumption for connectionless models
Vulcan offers over 10 ENERGY STAR® certified product series including fryers, griddles, ovens, heated holding cabinets and steamers to meet any operation’s needs. In 2017, Vulcan and ITW FEG received the ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence Award for the eighth straight year, proving a long-lasting commitment to sustainability.
With more pressure than ever to go GREEN in today’s world and a push for kitchens to be more profitable and efficient, ENERGY STAR® certified commercial food service equipment is making it possible. With continued energy savings throughout the life of the equipment, as well as rebates offered all over the U.S. after purchasing, you can create a cleaner environment while helping improve your bottom line all without sacrificing performance.
Visit the ENERGY STAR website to view a list of certified products by category.